• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Taking vitamins in excess resulting in narcotic-like euphoria?

Seattle_Stranger

Bluelighter
Upon searching for good discussions about people's experiences with this, I didn't really find much, so I figured let's talk about it here!

It's fairly safe to assume that if you're deficient in a certain vitamin, and you take it, you're going to feel better. However, do many people find that certain vitamins can cause a nearly-narcotic level of euphoria? For example, it's been pretty gray and not sunny around here lately, and has been all winter. The other morning I noticed the sun was coming out and it was shaping up to be a beautiful day. I took a double dose of vitamin D, along with my usual B complex and E vitamins, and went out for a day in the sun. As a result, I felt like I was on a low dose of opiates. I was getting actual small rushes of euphoria, and buzz-like feeling in my head and all over, and a much more pronounced feeling of pure happiness than I normally feel. I actually consider myself to have a bit of an anxiety/depression problem, so when feelings of euphoria visit, I am VERY aware of them and even more aware when my anxiety is at bay. These feelings were intense, much more than normal.

Sure, one of the first real sunny days after winter is going to make you feel great. That's very obvious, however like I said, I'm quite aware of my state of emotions and this was a seemingly unnatural level of euphoria and my best reasoning was some kind of vitamin D overload from being deficient in it over the past few months, taking a double dosage and then a lot of vitamin D on top of that from the sun.

Does anyone else get feelings of being high from taking vitamins they're deficient in? Furthermore, has anyone ever had consistent results with taking certain vitamins in excess to actually achieve a 'high'? Obviously excess is a relative term and just about anything in EXCESS can be damaging, however, is it dangerous to take say, 3x, 4x maybe 5x your usual vitamin dosage?

It's hard for me to not sound like I'm just trying to get high on vitamins, which sounds silly, but more or less it is what I'm aiming towards. Basically, if a vitamin that helps my body be healthy can actually make me feel euphoric too, in the words of Mr. Sheen that would be "Winning." %)

Thanks!

Its not really trying to get high on vitamins. But since our brains make all of those chemicals that provide our highs, learning to keep your body at its finest in terms of being full of vitamins and nutrients would naturally bring along lots of the fine serotonin and dopamine, etc.
Ive never tried any of this personally, but I do like how you felt the little euphorias from just vitamin D.. Maybe placebo.

Without completely ruling out placebo, I will say the only reason I made this thread is because I actually felt as if the effects were solid enough to surpass placebo. Yes, I understand placebo is the strongest drug out there, however given my experiences with substances at this point, I can honestly say this was a feeling worth looking into...

whenever i have too many multivitamins, the excess just passes through my system if it isnt able to be used

seattle stranger, what kind of dose do you usually take of vitamin d and what is the brand. a lot of products out there state one thing, completely do not contain anything at all BUT at most awesome, harsh chemicals or any by products (of course not stated on label).

seattle stranger, what kind of dose do you usually take of vitamin d and what is the brand. a lot of products out there state one thing, completely do not contain anything at all BUT at most awesome, harsh chemicals or any by products (of course not stated on label).

do you have any proof or evidence of this?

Upon searching for good discussions about people's experiences with this, I didn't really find much, so I figured let's talk about it here!

It's fairly safe to assume that if you're deficient in a certain vitamin, and you take it, you're going to feel better. However, do many people find that certain vitamins can cause a nearly-narcotic level of euphoria? For example, it's been pretty gray and not sunny around here lately, and has been all winter. The other morning I noticed the sun was coming out and it was shaping up to be a beautiful day. I took a double dose of vitamin D, along with my usual B complex and E vitamins, and went out for a day in the sun. As a result, I felt like I was on a low dose of opiates. I was getting actual small rushes of euphoria, and buzz-like feeling in my head and all over, and a much more pronounced feeling of pure happiness than I normally feel. I actually consider myself to have a bit of an anxiety/depression problem, so when feelings of euphoria visit, I am VERY aware of them and even more aware when my anxiety is at bay. These feelings were intense, much more than normal.

Sure, one of the first real sunny days after winter is going to make you feel great. That's very obvious, however like I said, I'm quite aware of my state of emotions and this was a seemingly unnatural level of euphoria and my best reasoning was some kind of vitamin D overload from being deficient in it over the past few months, taking a double dosage and then a lot of vitamin D on top of that from the sun.

Does anyone else get feelings of being high from taking vitamins they're deficient in? Furthermore, has anyone ever had consistent results with taking certain vitamins in excess to actually achieve a 'high'? Obviously excess is a relative term and just about anything in EXCESS can be damaging, however, is it dangerous to take say, 3x, 4x maybe 5x your usual vitamin dosage?

It's hard for me to not sound like I'm just trying to get high on vitamins, which sounds silly, but more or less it is what I'm aiming towards. Basically, if a vitamin that helps my body be healthy can actually make me feel euphoric too, in the words of Mr. Sheen that would be "Winning." %)

Thanks!

sunlight encourages serotonin production, so maybe thats why you felt good? ODing on vitamins usually results in toxicity of some sort. (bad)

do you have any proof or evidence of this?

i dont care to sue anyone so i dont see reason to collect "evidence". just know what i have been reading and following for many years in dietery supplement business. its known that FDA doesnt care enough to inspect all products coming out regularly on market UNLESS there are a lot of reports and whining from consumers on given product but at this time you are already sick or w/e and its too late.

i thought the person making this thread probably took some supplement with no quality that contained some nartcotic residues or w/e because this is quite possible in the great USA. if this is such controversial issue, ill drop it sorry. :\

typically when you have too many "vitamins" in your bloodstream, your body pisses em out, or stores them in your fats. its unlikely you can really achieve a state of "euphoria" from taking synthetic vitamins.

typically when you have too many "vitamins" in your bloodstream, your body pisses em out, or stores them in your fats. its unlikely you can really achieve a state of "euphoria" from taking synthetic vitamins.

This seems to me personally to be the most likely. I can't imagine "overdosing" on vitamins and having a euphoria. Perhaps it's something else in your diet / lifestyle?

You can temporarily over do it with vitamins, even with water soluble ones. Take Vitamin B3 (niacin) for instance: Over doing it results in "niacin flush". While there is contradictory information out there as to whether or not this flush is a good thing, the flush is a result of overdosing.

You can also overdose on the fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K).

However, I personally noticed a drastic mood improvement after a week or two of supplementing with Vitamin D (3 at first, 2 later). I forget what dosage I was given, but it was D3 of prescription strength. After that bottle ran out (I only had four pills and could only take one each week), I didn't supplement for awhile. Then I started supplementing with D2 and after a couple weeks noticed significant mood improvement. These mood improvements only lasted while I was taking the pills and eventually faded awhile even while on the "normal dose." I also don't forget about the placebo effect these vitamins may have had.

Lastly, I've experienced the same state as the vitamin D educed after biking. The residual high from biking lasts a couple days, and by then I've gotten on my bike again.

"A man's health can be measured by what he takes two at a time: Pills or stairs." - Author unknown

I believe you, i swear the same thing happened to me once when i was using a juicer! it was in the morning and i had an empty stomach, i mixed a bunch of fruits/veggies and chugged two pint glasses, it almost felt like i was high, and it wasnt a psychological thing, i could feel it in my body, it reminded me of an opiate/amphetamine type feeling...really weird, it never happened again

guys how come you are all so gullible ruling out possible contamination of supplements with chemicals not stated on label ? this happens A LOT. like stimulants or even opiate like chemicals added for maximum effect. usually on brands not popular, BUT there are sooo many out there, its hard to tell which is accepted. like this Irwin Naturals, they found all kinds of crap in their supplements YET they still sell them in all stores i walked into. :(

guys how come you are all so gullible ruling out possible contamination of supplements with chemicals not stated on label ? this happens A LOT. like stimulants or even opiate like chemicals added for maximum effect. usually on brands not popular, BUT there are sooo many out there, its hard to tell which is accepted. like this Irwin Naturals, they found all kinds of crap in their supplements YET they still sell them in all stores i walked into. :(

Do you have any links to back up this claim?

seatle_stranger, you didnt tell us which form of vit d you were taking. it seems like d2 doesnt work and its toxic.

right. i heard this, "not easily absorbed" but why few sites i visited relating vitamins it states its toxic ? any ideas ??

right. i heard this, "not easily absorbed" but why few sites i visited relating vitamins it states its toxic ? any ideas ??

Maybe a particular brand is toxic. Without seeing the website, I can't tell you why the website has what it does.

However, this has gotten off the main topic at hand, and that is whether taking an excess of vitamins results in a narcotic-like euphoria. Whether or not a vitamin is toxic with the standard dose is something rather unrelated.

Let's try and keep the thread on track, folks. There are other threads for other topics--Use the search engine! :p

I actually like where the thread is going, it's quite interesting. I agree that most vitamins are pissed out and your body wont absorb any more than it needs, so taking them in excess is more or less a waste.

However, I can definitely see how a person who is deficient in essential vitamins could experience a 'mood lift' from taking them. Almost how a person in opiate withdrawal will feel a ton better/normalized from a small hit, even if it isn't enough to get them high.

Thanks for all the info!!